Thursday, September 30, 2004

How long can we fake it

I am stuck on this cup analogy. This idea that all we have to do is keep up the appearance of change. We can be like the Emperor in The Emperor's New Clothes, we are convinced that no one really sees the reality of our heart. We can smile and say the right things for a time, but eventually we start to crack. Our attitude starts to show in our comments, facial expressions and behaviour. This happens because keeping up a facade is hard work. It takes alot of energy. So, why do we start a game we can't finish. Why do we convince ourselves that we can do it.

It takes alot less energy to be transparent. Sure it can be hard at first, because we are used to living the lie. It is uncomfortable. Transparency seems like nakedness, but the freedom it brings is amazing. "I am not perfect. I have cracks. But, by God's grace, not anything of me, I am striving to live my relationship with God. It isn't always pretty, but it is real." We don't have all the answers, so why pretend we do. That just pisses people off. People were drawn to Jesus because of His transparency. I am sure they will be drawn to Him by ours.
This can only happen if our cup is clean. Which can only happen if we fill our cup with His Spirit.

Peace,

K

No comments: