Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Christmas in SE Asia

It is hard to believe the devastation that SE Asia is experiencing, due to the Tsunami this week. This morning the death toll was up to 68,000. It is heart breaking to see the loss of loved ones and the grief that those people are enduring, while trying to stay alive themselves. I feel so helpless. I have no point of reference for what these people are going through. I can only pray, and give some cash to the relief effort.

We have spent a ton of money on Christmas, buying things we don't really need, in the true sense of the word "need". Now we are faced with people in real need. They have nowhere to live, nothing to eat and are faced with disease due to the death toll. It is easy to think that my $20 is nothing, but if enough of us give sacrificially, it will have an impact. These people who are suffering are part of God's Kingdom. It is our duty to help.

Whatever church you are associated with, bug them to contribute to this effort. This is an opportunity for us to be the church in a "hands on" relevant way. Pray for the people of SE Asia. They are hurting beyond anything I can imagine.

For me, this kind of situation really brings home how blessed I am, even when I think I have it hard. What do I know?

Peace,

K

No comments: