Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Christians & Gay marriage

Here is my problem. The Christian reaction to this whole issue has started to piss me off a little. Here is the thing, Christians are so concerned about the erosion of their values, that they have shown very little concern for the people that are gay. The gay community is a group of people. They love, hurt, cry and bleed just like the rest of us. The Christian right has portrayed "gay" as some kind of conspiratorial juggernaut, that needs to be destroyed. Not as a people who are, in their minds fighting for their rights. I imagine most gay people do not want to be stereotyped any more than I do.

How can I say I love people, and then attribute less than human status to them, because they don't walk the way I walk or agree with my convictions. Do I believe homosexuality is a sin? Yes, just like greed, pride and not loving God's creation. I also believe the church's treatment of homosexuals is a sin. Now that one, we have control over. So,....what are we going to do about it?

Vote against gay marriage if that is your conviction, but love the people as God does.

Peace,

K

No comments: