Thursday, January 20, 2005

Watching your kids suffer

As some of you are aware, I am in my third week of a lingering flu bug that at this point is just pissing me off. Kayla and Josh have been sick as well. Last night Josh finally had a good nights sleep. For the two nights before that he was coughing all night. One night he coughed for 6 hours with 10 second breaks between coughs. He was in a semi sleep state and would whimper after a cough. As parents we were totally helpless as we listened to him suffer. During the day it wasn't much better. You can give medication, but that's it. I found myself asking God to transfer his condition over to me, just make him well.

I guess that is the heart of a father. It certainly was the heart of our Heavenly Father. I got a microscopic glimpse of how God must grieve when we suffer. He can't always intervene, but He feels our pain. He did intervene when it came to our eternal condition and our suffering became His. That is why we can call him Father. Sometimes all a father can do is put an arm around his child and be present.

Peace,

K

No comments: