Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Good Shot

That was the title of an email I got today from a senior FM pastor. We were discussing the church's response to homosexuals. He was arguing that "church" accepts "them" fine, but they reject the truth. I don't disagree with some of what he says(except the church accepts them fine part), but it was the way he said it. He came across kind of arrogant and so sure he was right.

Another pastor wrote about his experience and his email showed compassion and grace toward the gay community.

I basically compared the spirit of the two emails and commented on how one was compassionate and the other cold. I also suggested that if we want to know how well we treat gay people, we might be wise to ask gay people how they think we treat them.

This pastor became very defensive and accused me of attacking him, which is exactly what I felt he was doing to Tony Campolo and the gay community. I thought we were just having a conversation.

So, here is what I learned; One of the big differences between emergent and regular church leaders, is that emergent leaders are willing to entertain the idea that we don't have all the answers. We don't have to have all the answers. We can wrestle with scripture and not lose our salvation. We can question our execution of the truth.

The part I have to work on is being gracious to some old farts who use their age as a measure of experience and dismiss anyone younger than them. I do not want to be disrespectful, but I do want the freedom to explore the issues without being badgered by someone who thinks they have the corner on the market when it comes to truth and how to live it.

Peace,

K

No comments: