Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Question of Grace?

Here is a very real problem we are dealing with. There is someone who has returned to our community after being gone for a year or two. This person was a Vault kid and professed to begin a relationship with Jesus. In the time that this person has been gone they started dealing cocaine. this is confirmed information, so now I have to figure out how to deal with it. What limitations do I set? How hard should I be on this person? How hard and fast? What would Jesus do? Seriously. I know what "I" want to do with it.....

Peace,

K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Matthew 18:15-17 applies in this situation. If he previously professed faith in Christ, then he should be treated as a member of the family of Christ. He should be confronted one-on-one about it. If he repents and expresses a desire to reform his behaviour, then the grace of Christ should be applied and he should be forgiven. If he doesn't, then I think his involvement in the community should be limited or even refused as a precaution. I think that's what "treating him like a pagan and a tax collector" means. In other words, judge them by the world's standards, and as far as the world is concerned, someone who deals drugs isn't someone you want around a community center for obvious reasons.